Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April Releases

New This Month!

Arthur: Directed by Jason Winer; Starring Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner
Russell Brand stars as a spoiled heir who rebels against his family's plans for his future (which includes marrying Jennifer Garner, who seems to be a crazy lady here) and is subsequently cut off financially. Helen Mirren plays his nanny and also serves as a nurturing mother figure. I honestly had no idea Garner was in it until I watched the extended trailer on imdb.com. She just might be a scene stealer here. I don't think Helen Mirren is known for her comedic skills, but then again, I think her role in this film is to lend it a bit of seriousness and heart. Otherwise it would just be a farce and might not have much depth. All in all, I do actually want to see this one, even though I'm not a big Russell Brand fan. I have a feeling that it will be a sweet comedy and coming of age story, albeit the one coming of age is well into his 30's. I think it'll be funny, endearing, and sweet. My guess: 3.5 out of 5


Apollo 18: Directed by Gonzalo Lopez-Gallego; Starring unknown (not listed)
This is another "found footage" type of movie. It supposedly shows why there were no more missions to the moon. Basically, two astronauts are on the moon and they begin to see things out of the corners of their eye. Things start moving of their own accord. They find footprints that don't belong to them. And of course they must investigate. This is, after all, a horror movie. According to the trailer I watched, one of the astronauts contracts a disease or is bitten or scratched or something, by something, and begins to fall apart. The other astronaut must then fight for his life. In a tiny shuttle. On the moon. Do I think it will be scary? Well, most horror movies are scary, so yes. Do I think it will be original and memorable. No. But still, another addition to the horror genre. And of course I'll go see it because I'm a sucker for movies that go "BOO!" in the dark and quiet. My guess: 2.5-3 out of 5
*Just a side note: My original notes say that this was supposed to come out this month, but now I'm hearing that it's not for another six months or so? I don't know. If it isn't released this month, I'll just post again for the month that it is supposed to come out.


The Conspirator: Directed by Robert Redford; Starring James McAvoy, Evan Rachel Wood, Alexis Bledel, Robin Wright, Justin Long
I saw the trailer for this once about a month ago in theaters. It was long and dull. I honestly can't bring myself to watch it again to refresh my memory. The basic story is this: Lincoln gets shot and everyone connected to the killer is put on trial. This includes a woman (Wright, I believe). McAvoy plays a lawyer (not sure for which side) who is distressed at having a woman barely connected to the plot being persecuted. I'm of mixed emotions about this movie. I don't want to go see it because the trailer was so yawn-worthy, but I'm interested because I believe James McAvoy to be a very talented actor. I think he could possibly make it onto my Legends List  (Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, and Meryl Streep are all on it, just to name a few). I probably won't go see this one in theaters. $9 is a lot to pay to see something you don't really want to see in the first place. If you want to view the trailer for yourself, it's on imdb.com under the title page. My guess: 3 out of 5


Hanna: Directed by Joe Wright; Starring Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett
There's something off about the girl. Something.... medically perhaps? It's hinted at in the trailer. Perhaps she was "created" by Blanchett's character and Bana, feeling sorry for the child, stole her away to keep her safe. I don't know. I'm sure that the twist at the end will reveal all and devastate poor, creepy Hanna. And she is creepy. Just watch the trailer. Anyway, this one seems to be a thriller, action, spy flick. I adore Cate Blanchett. She always makes the most interesting choices, and they are almost all watchable and enjoyable. I am turned off by the main character, Hanna, though, so I'm debating on whether or not to catch this one in theaters. Blanchett just might reel me in though, so we'll see. I predict this one will be a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5.
*Side note: Joe Wright is the guy that directed Atonement and Pride & Prejudice. He is, stylistically, one of my favorite directors, so he's another reason I think this movie could possibly be good. That he looks a bit like Clive Owen doesn't hurt either.


Hop: Directed by Tim Hill; Starring Russell Brand, James Marsden
The next bunny in line to be the Easter Bunny doesn't want the job. He wants to be a rock star. Hijinks ensue when he runs away to L.A. to become a star. It looks like a good kids movie, but it doesn't really appeal to me. It looks like it uses some cheap gags (poo-candy) and a bit of overacting. Both of which, I'm kind of over. My guess: 2.5 out of 5


Prom: Directed by Joe Nussbaum; Starring a bunch of actors and actresses no one has ever heard of
It's about Prom. Getting ready for it, asking people to it, finding the dress or tux, getting the flower and the limo, and other teen angsty stuff associated with this particular rite of passage. I'll pass thank you. NEXT!


Rio: Directed by Carlos Saldanha; Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, Wanda Sykes, Jane Lynch, Jamie Foxx, Will.I.Am
This one looks cute. Blu, the main bird, can't fly. He falls for a lovely bird, Jewel, that can. They happen to be in Rio which is not Blu's home. He's been kidnapped and wants to go back to Minnesota. But, he's got to fly to do so. Hilarity ensues. It looks like it will have both adult and child humor so that gives it a big bonus in my book. And for the kiddies, it's not just a mindless cartoon. Even from the trailer I can tell it's about finding yourself, not being afraid to take risks; basically it teaches a lesson while entertaining. Now isn't that sweet? My guess: 3-3.5 out of 5


Scream 4: Directed by Wes Craven; Starring NEve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette
This newest installment is packed with names of the new generation: Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Kristen Bell, Anna Paquin, Lucy Hale. I'm excited for this one. I love the Scream franchise. It's cheap, guilty pleasure type thrills. They've become the standards in the Slasher genre. Heck, the original Scream reinvigorated the Slasher genre. So, yeah, original, no, but still a good cheap thrill that I will thoroughly enjoy in theaters for old times sake. My guess: 3 out of 5


Source Code: Directed by Duncan Jones; Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan
A soldier is sent back in time for eight minute increments in order to figure out who bombed a commuter train. He also apparently falls in love with a girl that was on the train. I'm a little "meh" on this one. I know it's sci-fi-ish but come on. Eight minutes. To figure out who a bomber is? Isn't that why we have detectives and forensics? And Gyllenhaal's character adds saving a girl to his original mission. All in eight minutes? Sorry Mr. Jones, I'm not buying it. I'm sure it's an average movie, but even at this distance there are gaping holes in the plot. My guess 2 out 5


Water for Elephants: Directed by Francis Lawrence; Starring Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon, Christopher Waltz
Water for Elephants is based on a best selling novel by the same name. I've never read the book (not my style), but I might after watching the trailer for the movie. A young man (Pattinson) loses his family and hits the road in search of work. He comes to rest at a circus, of which, Witherspoon is the star. She is also married to the head honcho, Waltz. Pattinson and Witherspoon begin an affair and drama ensues as Pattinson encourages her to leave for a better life. It looks incredibly stylish and beautifully filmed. It could be a good story, although it seems a little cliched. There is a reason the book has been such a best seller though and I'm not going to discredit it, especially when I haven't read it. I may skip this one and wait for it on Netflix since there are others that I want to see more than this one. For style alone I'd say this is probably going to be a 3.5 out of 5. 


Your Highness: Directed by David Gordon Green; Starring Danny McBride, James Franco, Natalie Portman
Good God Almighty I hate comedies like these. Really. I have no desire to see this. It looks incredibly shallow, stupid, and ultimately humorless. Come on Portman and Franco! You were both just nominated for OSCARS! Portman you WON an Oscar for one of the best acting jobs I've ever seen! I'm actually not surprised by Franco being in this. And after watching him at the Oscars, I seriously doubt he was sober at all while filming this. You'd almost have to be high to want to make a turd like this.


Insidious: Directed by James Wan; Starring Rose Byrne, Patrick Wilson
I've actually already seen this so I'll just review it here. As I've stated before, I'm a sucker for horror flicks that go "BOO!" in the dark and quiet. This movie has that in spades. So much so that it in fact becomes routine and not even scary by the end. It is creepy in the first two acts though, so I will give it that. The real insidiousness of this movie is the demon and his ear-worm of a theme song "Tiptoe Through The Tulips." I've had that song stuck in my head for days. And accompanying that song is a visual of a child demon dancing away like a crazy person. It's funny and scary at the same time. Anyway. I must say, I was disappointed by the ending. It was incredibly predictable. And I was disappointed by the director's decision to show the demon bad guy in full. Doesn't he know that it's what we can't see that's the scariest of all? That is, after all, why we are afraid of the dark. 2.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment