Friday, January 4, 2013

The Dark Knight Rises


The Dark Knight Rises
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway
Brief Description: Supposedly the final tale in the Dark Knight/Batman series. A villain comes to "relieve" the people of Gotham of their freedom with a nuclear bomb. Batman must overcome his insecurities and injuries to save his city.
My Rating: 4/5

I can't find any fault with Christopher Nolan. He is a cinematic genius. And what a way to end the series! Superb character depth and development. Awesome gadgets and jaw-dropping action. And yet, despite all of the praise-worthy attributes and my pure, uninhibited love of all things super hero, I'm still kind of meh about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie and worth a viewing. Maybe even a few viewings. But I just can't seem to get excited about it.

I've been sitting on this review for a while now. I didn't go see it in theaters, mostly because of all the shootings associated with it, so I've just watched it recently. But even so, I just haven't been able to easily define how I feel about it. I certainly enjoyed it when I was watching it. I wasn't bored by it and I felt and reacted in just the ways the director was (probably) going for. So, why am I so ambivalent about it after the fact?

Perhaps it was too predictable. Bane never felt like a character that would act on his own, as insane as he might have been, so I was kind of expecting a Sudden-Yet-Inevtiable-Betrayal from some character. And who better than the newly introduced, seemingly unimportant character? You also know that, no matter how bad things seem to get, they can't get Truly Bad, because that goes against Hollywood's rules. I suppose what I'm saying is that it isn't really that memorable. The only truly memorable part of the movie was the final scene, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, which made me squeal like a little girl that just found out unicorns DO exist. And just to further the squeal-fest:


Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease make this a movie!! PleaseyweasyPLEASE with a great big cherry on top!?

No comments:

Post a Comment